Arrival and Travel

  • When May I Arrive to New York and Check in to Housing?

Students should arrive to check in to housing no earlier than August 30.  Check in begins after 10AM.  Students who arrive before that time are responsible for their own accommodations.***

  • When is orientation?

Orientation is MANDATORY for all students. Details about orientation will be available soon.

  • How do I travel from the airport to my dorm?

We recommend that you take a yellow taxi cab with a working meter from the airport.  Public transportation from JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark can be confusing, especially for a first-time visitor to New York City.  You will receive detailed travel instructions from the airport to the campus via this blog closer to your time of departure.

  • What if I want to travel to other parts of the U.S?

You are free to travel outside of New York City at your own expense.  Before leaving, you should register your trip with NYU Traveler (   When traveling between states in the U.S., you can cross state borders without showing your passport, visa, and I-20.  However, you should always travel domestically with copies of your passport and visa should you need to demonstrate that you are in the U.S. legally.  If you are traveling by air, train, bus, or ship, you will likely be required to produce these documents before boarding.

  • What if I want to travel outside of the U.S?

You may also travel outside of the U.S. at your own expense.  If you plan to cross an international border you will have to show your passport, visa, and, if you are an F-1 visa student, your signed I-20 form to re-enter the U.S.  If you are in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, you must obtain a travel signature on the third page of your I-20 form from NYU’s Office of Global Services before leaving the U.S.  Please note that your visa may allow for a single entry or for multiple entries.  The number of times you are allowed to enter the United States is indicated on your Visa under the section “entries.” You can have multiple entries if the letter “M” appears in this section; if it does not, you are only allowed to enter the U.S. the specific number of times indicated. Before traveling you should check with OGS as to whether you can enter the country of interest without a visa.  GlobalChek Plus will help navigate whether you will need a visa to enter a country other than the US.

  • Will we get Metro Cards for travel around New York City?

The Global Programs New York City Office does not provide Metro Cards for any student.  All students are responsible for purchasing their own Metro Cards.  For commuting among NYU buildings in Manhattan, NYU has a shuttle.  For further information see,

***Residence hall will open on Sunday, August 27, but we strongly recommend arriving on Wednesday, August 30.