Health and Safety

The NYU Student Health Center and the Department of Public Safety work closely with program staff to plan for safe, healthy, and enriching opportunities long before you arrive. You will be introduced to many of these services in the months leading up to your program abroad while others will be explained in detail during the mandatory on-site orientation.

Get a head start on familiarizing yourself with global health and wellness resources by visiting the NYU Student Health Center website.  Click here for information specifically about New York Health & Wellness.

  • Will my health insurance work in New York?

Your GeoBlue health insurance is accepted at NYU’s Student Health Center.  Should you need to see a specialist, an optometrist, or other specialized services, please contact the NYU health center for advice before scheduling an appointment.  Dental, optometry, and any preventive procedures, are not covered by GeoBlue.

If you have questions about your coverage please click here for further information or contact

  • Do I have to pay a co-pay fee at the Student Health Center?

If you have an appointment, there is no co-pay fee.  Walk-in appointments will be charged a co-pay fee.  Medicines filled at the Pharmacy in the Student Health Center are not charged a no-pay fee.

  • What if I need counseling while abroad?

While studying abroad is an incredible experience, it often takes time to adjust to a new culture, living arrangements, food, language and submersion into the unfamiliar. Some students feel overwhelmed, others homesick. Some afraid, others depressed. You may periodically feel out of sorts.

The attitudes toward counseling, or therapy, vary from one country to another. The NYU staff in New York can refer you to a local counselor so that you can arrange a therapy schedule. Your GeoBlue Health Insurance should cover the cost for your mental health care needs so that you do not have to pay out of pocket for counseling services.

You must plan ahead before departure! Call the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999 or write to if you need help making connections to mental health professionals abroad.

If you currently attend counseling or see a therapist regularly, consider the following:

  • If treatment is essential to your functioning, you must identify a therapist PRIOR TO your departure!!
  • If you are considering taking a hiatus from treatment, you should have a plan in the event that you need to see someone while abroad.
  • If you know you will need a therapist or counselor prior to departure, call the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999. Counselors will assist you in connecting with appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral

If you are presently taking prescribed psychotropic medication:

  • You must meet with your prescribing physician to discuss
  • Receiving enough medication to last until you return. (Note: For some conditions and some medications, this is not possible)
  • Getting a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor abroad who will follow you and write prescription refills. Note that prescriptions from American doctors cannot be filled abroad.
  • Having the prescription and the generic make up available and translated into the language of the country where you are studying abroad.
  • If you know you will need medication, get it before you leave, or contact NYU’s the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999. Counselors will be able to put you in contact with the appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor.

If you have questions or concerns, contact the Wellness Exchange at 212 443-9999; e-mail us at or check our web page at If you find you need a therapist, counselor or doctor while you are away, ask a member of the NYU site staff. All inquiries will be kept confidential.

  • How do I get a phone for use abroad?
    • For your safety, we strongly recommend all students have a cell phone that works locally.
      • It’s usually easier – and cheaper – to get a cell phone pay-as-you go plan in the U.S. than to use your U.S. plan. You can get a plan from a variety of providers including At&T, T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint. If your current cell phone does not have international roaming or calling you can purchase a SIM card from a number of locations around the NYU campus. These can be purchased with data if your phone has data capability. Please see the map of locations.  There are many service providers, but At&T has the best prices and customer service, and gives a student discount with valid student ID.  During orientation, NYU New York site staff will show you where to get phones.